Daylily

Daylily
African Violet

Friday, January 20, 2017

How to combat the winter blahs

Winter here in New England can be cold, grey and dismal. There's not too much happening in the landscape, and if you're a garden lover, like me, it's hard to find much cheer outdoors. If you've planted your gardens with winter interest, you at least have a pleasing structure to reflect upon. I guess I should have staked up my magnificent stand of Zebra Grass, since it currently resembles a vegetative crushed beer can. The few perennials that I didn't quite get to cutting back seem to look at me resentfully whenever I head outdoors.

But enough depressing depictions! There's a place that is teeming with life and blossoms, and that is indoors! If you grow houseplants, there is never a need for you to be without greenery and blooms. I grow plants mainly on shelves in the south and west windows of my house. African violets are in bloom almost all year round, and need minimal care. I feed with a blossom booster type food (high phosphorus, that's the middle number) once a month (along with all my other plants) and just water them when they get dry. I check all my plants frequently for water needs. I believe it's a mistake to water on a set schedule, because plants use water in varied ways depending on size, heat, sun, and time of year. Watering on the same day every week can lead to overwatering, which can do some plants in. Also, houseplants tend to need less water in the summer months, when the windows are open and the air much more humid.

 I grow several orchids which can be counted on to bloom in winter. One of those is Dtps (Doritaenopsis) Kenneth Schubert, which I picked up a couple of years ago at the Amherst Orchid Society orchid show. Check out their website http://amherstorchidsociety.org/ to find out when and where their shows are. Another orchid in bloom now is a fragrant, yellow mini phalaenopsis called New Wave 'Spring Meadow'. I enjoy the smaller orchids that can sit on a shelf. I'm a big fan of paphiopedilums (slipper orchids), and a Paph. appletonianum v. hainanense that I bought last year in spike (in bud), is now in spike again.

Another long blooming plant is Anthurium. I chose the one I have because the new leaf growth is bronze,the stems are reddish, the older leaves are green, and the flowers are pink. Anthuriums are best in bright light and like their water.

Don't forget cut flowers! I love to have a bunch of tulips on the table. While they don't last too long, they are inexpensive and a great way to bring vibrant life into your home.

No comments:

Post a Comment